Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Knitting in the Dungeon

I am in the dungeon knitting and watching Footloose on VH1 (which is pretty funny considering everyone out on the back porch had some kind of starring role in it when it was the Hanford spring musical a few years ago). But they don't even know or would care that it is on.

What's going on? Dinner party night three. Monday was movie night here, 5 kids stuffed on the couch - excuse me young adults? whatever you call 19 and 20 year olds?, 3 more scattered around on chairs. So I worked on the socks, dyed my KSKS yarn and read through some of my older pattern books. And cat patrol (our cats are strictly indoor cats).

Last night was the pizza on the BBQ night. Some of the same guests. I knitted and skeined the KSKS yarn. And cat patrol
6pm tonight I found out that there was going to be a shish-ka-bob party at our house. It was amazing. Got home and found Jared and Graham cleaning house, folding clothes, sweeping the back porch, putting up twinkly lights under the grape vines and filling the tiki torch. No Rachel tonight, she's very sick again. Then as the guests were arriving they (with the help of the guests) started putting together the ka-bobs. Enough to feed about 15 people I estimate. Only 8 or 9 guests are here. No knitting tonight just hiding out. On cat patrol since there is a lot of in and out the door traffic. Music started out with XM channel 28 Broadway show tunes, then Jazz channel 70 0r 72 for an hour now probably channel 7. A piece from Neil Young Harvest was just on. mmm what do I hear now? Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend. Must be back to channel 28??

Why all the parties? Last year they were all too busy with rehearsals and meetings these first few weeks of August. Then they all left to perform at the Fringe Festival in Scotland. Some of them flew home early to start college, others like Rachel got as close to home as the Sea-Tac airport and left from there for George Washington University. This year, the summer is more relaxed. Some of the friends like Jared leave August 20, others the week before or right after for their respective universities, Graham not until Sept 17. Precious time. It's a very close knit group. They survived their first year apart from each other and came back this summer as close knit a group as ever before. They are an exceptional group. Rachel will be at the University of Edinburgh this fall, Jared is returning to the University of Evansville. The others eating on the back porch are returning to far flung places like Texas, Ohio, and Virginia. They can stay up till all hours talking, I know how important this time is to them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice post. Footloose? Well, yes, I have fond memories of that movie. And the clothes. And the hairstyles.

Neil Young's Harvest? My favorite album of my sophomore year in college.

Young adults. We got a couple of those, too. I like them better every year!

2:56 AM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

Hey, Katt, where'd you get your scooter?

6:29 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I have a couple of those at my house two..19 & 21. Lots of parties this summer and road trips. I hope they realize that this is the time of their lives....

I'm just glad to be there to enjoy it with them.

Ann

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home