Wednesday, May 24, 2006

We're back and all yarned out (more pictures to follow)

A vacation, short but actually felt like a vacation. Forgot about work, got lots of knitting done (Cabin Cove Dave, just wait till you see how the Baby Cable Rib sock is coming out!!! Photos later today), became regulars at the Cowgirl, slept in everyday and celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary! What more could a person ask for? OK maybe winning Powerball...

We live in one of Delta's mini-service areas. They keep downsizing the planes and ticking everyone off because they end up bumping people with RESERVED SEATS. The largest planes we have flying into this burg right now are CRJ200's and are run by SkyWest. I think they seat 50 max. Comfortable pitch for the short flights, leg room is ok for an averaged height women like me, but if you wear over a size 2 in jeans you don't fit width wise in those seats! Oh well, good thing I brought entertainment with me. Watched a few Monk reruns on my iPod, tried to not smell Mr. Too Much Aftershave in the row in front of me, and knitted a few rows between SLC and ABQ.

I hadn't been to the southwest in 10-12 years so Dave was my travel guide. So Thursday when we got to Albuquerque he took me to The Flying Star Cafe for lunch. You know a vacation meal is going to be good when they serve your dessert first. Raspberry Peach Pie to die for!

We then got directions to the Village Wools shop. Nice selection, or at least a little bit different from what I can get around here. I bought my SP8 pal some things, then treated myself to some Artyarn Supermerino in 101, a mininiddynoddy and 8oz of Churro roving.The drive up to Santa Fe was nice. Santa Fe now starts a lot farther south than it ever did. But has more to offer than this burg that I live in with half the population. Oh well. Gets too hot there too. And like here, it's a dry heat. Checked into our hotel and when I opened my bags realized I'd forgotten all my knitting shop notes at home! Had to rely on the yellow pages. So to make up for it we went to happy hour. At the Cowgirl. 1/2 price frozen no salts. You that know, know what I'm talking about. The place was crawling distance from our hotel which was very good planning on our part. I don't think many of the waitstaff and bartenders were real cowpersons; many peircings, labrets and tattoos. When we got back, er... slowly found our way back to our hotel room, I tried knitting a row or two. Tried. I figured out I had actually made a small error two rows back. Not post Cowgirl, pre Cowgirl. So no more knitting on Thursday. Friday we found one yarn shop closed/papered up, wandered all over the plaza section and up the Canyon looking in all the galleries. Went to the Needles Eye. Boring I am afraid. Never did find Oodles though it was supposedly right by our hotel. Friday night we sat in our now regular seats at the Cowgirl. Outdid ourselves.

Saturday we drove up to Taos and Arroyo Seco. The Taos Sunflower was the yarn store highlight of the trip. The people running it were delightful, the yarns yummy. Pictures of the yarns will follow. Some views of Sunflower are below.The Taos Yarn shop was a big yawn shop. Sorry. Saturday night we sat in our now regular seats at the Cowgirl. Outdid ourselves yet again.

Sunday we found the Santa Fe School of Weaving. Closed though on Sunday and we didn't make it back. Oh well. Sundat night we, well you guessed it, our regular seats at the Cowgirl. Outdid ourselves one more time. After all, it was our farewell tour. We miss you already Bram!!!

Monday morning the electricity went out at our hotel for a couple of hours. Not just our hotel but most of the plaza was down. So I got a lot of knitting done sitting on a park bench. We did one more circle around the area, found the Inn of the Turquiose Bear where my brother and his wife always stay, and then left for Albuquerque.

Flew out Tuesday mid-day. Needless to say, I did great on sock progress since we had a lot of down time. As soon as I take some pics I'll post them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks, that was like my own personal travel tour! Sounds like a relly fun trip of eatting, drinking and yarn shopping. Taos is on my list of places to visit. Being from New England, we have WET, soupy heat. I've never tried the dry heat before, but it sounds very welcoming.
Looking forward to seeing those socks!

3:54 AM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

Oh, my goodness on the Artyarn. Gorgeous.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

yyyuuuummmm...that arn store looks delectible!!

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home