Monday, September 18, 2006

OK picture heavy and not much in the way of knitting

Let see, we got to Denver the day after my SP8 box of hand crochet lace arrived. I just realized I haven't posted pictures yet! Oh well, tomorrow when there is light.

We arrived on Friday and the first thing we did because we were starving was go to the Villiage Inn Pancake House for dinner. We all ordered breakfast instead. Thena s soon as I got to my parents house I tried the spinning wheel. The mother-of-all was a bit loose but I got it working just fine.Saturday we drove out to Barr Lake to bird watch. There was no water in the lake. Fishing was still prohibited.Saturday sky for Sept 9, 2006.We went downtown to the REI store so Graham could shop for school shoes. We watched kayakers at Confluence Park. Then we had lunch at Larimar Square. Oktoberfest was going on. Only in Denver will you see a Lederhosen Cowboy.Somewhere around in there I finished Graham's Rusted socks.Monday was Mom's 78th birthday so we took a ride in the mountains to the half way mark up the Mt Evans Highway.Note how Mom can tuck right under Graham's arm pit. My Mom is the tallest girl in her family. Her Mom was so tiny she would probably tuck right under Mom's arm.Going from sea level to 11,113 feet made me pretty loopie! Just like it did in 1963 when we first moved from Seattle to Denver and the first ride we took was up Mt Evens. Afterwards we drove to Central City and Blackhawk so Mom could do a little birthday gambling. We both did crappy till she thru some $1 in the $1 machines. At dollar #16 she hit a $120 jackpot. I grabbed the $1 tokens and cashed them out before she could put them back in and loose them all.Tuesday I hung out with my best friend Betsy. We've been best friends for 41 years!!! We never get to spend enough time together. I forgot to take a picture of her last week! We went to one yarn shop. Pretty lame. No I take that back, really lame yarn shop.Wednesday was my Boulder day. We walked all over campus, Graham had a tour of the Mechanical Engineering Graduate Studies department. We ate at the Darkhorse Bar and Grill. The cheeseburgers were great, just like they were in 1975 when the darkhorse opened. It's one of those places that has something hanging or painted on every square inch of the place. Includes the bullhead from a Mr. Steak restaurant, a horse drawn hearse and a model of a naked pregnant woman.

Well it is getting late, I know I have forgotten a ton. I'll post more tomorrow or Wednesday.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heide said...

What an ecclectic trip! You saw everything from a naked pregnant dummy to a dried up lake where fishing was prohibited... not mention breathtaking scenery. I've only been to Colorado once (Colorado Springs for an Air Force training conference). Even at that altitude I was having to rest often. It was so beautiful though. Love the socks!

6:18 AM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

I love the "lake" picture!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Petey said...

Never have I seen Barr Lake without water and I lived in Denver for 20 years. Next time you're there, you should drive up Colorado Highway 119 (Boulder Canyon). Stop in Nederland(Ned to the locals) and eat at the Pioneer Inn (Artichoke Chile Cheese Dip and a Reuben-I recommend). Stop in next door at the rock shop and on the way back down stop at Boulder Falls.
Petey's Mom, Poogie

11:35 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love the no fishing sign! And the lederhosen cowboy (with no boots!). Sounds like a fun trip.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

sounds like a great trip! the socks came out really really nice. ping me when your back in town & on IM...i have some BIG news to share with you.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home